Church at Thykkvabaejarklaustur BL04-07-06
An Augustinian abbey was founded here in 1168. The first abbott was Žorlįkur Žorhallsson who
was later canonised. In the 14th century a renegade monk, Brother Eysteinn, wrote the poem 'The Lily'.
The abbey gained a certain notoriety in the 17th century when rumours spread of inappropriate relationships
between the monks and the nuns at the nearby Kirkjubęjarklaustur. The present church was built in 1864.
Camera: Nikon D2X | Lens: 17-55mm | Exposure: 1/640s | Aperture: F/12 | ISO 200